Monday, April 07, 2008

South Georgia research team plans to dig for ancient artifacts
Before Muskogee (Creek) Indian tribes inhabited Georgia, a more mysterious native culture known only by its archaeological name, the Swift Creek, walked the same land. They left behind elaborate paddle-stamped ceramics, which represent the earliest complicated stamped pottery in the Southeast.

Now, a group of professional archaeologists hopes to find a few remaining traces of the Swift Creek culture in Glynn County. The South Georgia Archaeological Research Team plans to conduct a one-day dig in April or May on St. Simons Island at a site where the Swift Creek are believed to have once lived.

"To be able to do any kind of work in Glynn County any more is exciting to me," said team member Fred Cook, who had requested permission from the county to perform the dig.


I supposedly have some Creek blood in me. My ancestry on my dad's side is rather murky, but that's the family legend -- an India Princess! -- and I think some people who do this sort of thing have largely confirmed at least the Indian part.