Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!


Today, we here at ArchaeoBlog give thanks for all of you, our loyal readers, for making our humble attempt at doing more than just typing a (relative) success.

I admit Thanksgiving was never a fave holiday of mine. Maybe because I didn't care much for the big family get-togethers when I was a kid; it was mostly a time to be bored for me, and sitting at The Kids' Table until I was like 16 didn't help either. When I moved out to Seattle for grad school I happily did away with doing anything on this day, using the excuse of having no family here and school work to do as a handy excuse. Several times I went into the lab/office to work on Thanksgiving and was quite happy to do so. Nowadays I travel 60 miles south to Gig Harbor to spend the day with the in-laws which thrills me about as much as it did when I was a kid. Me, I'd rather spend the day watching football.

Most memorable Thanksgiving: probably 10 years ago, we packed up the car to make the aforementioned journey south. We left at 11-11:30 that year, later than usual, just for the heck of it. Well. We got to Tacoma (~3/4 of the way) and. . .traffic was backed up at the Tacoma Narrows Bridge for miles. We didn't know this at the time, we just thought it was bad traffic in the city. Tried several different routes to get to the bridge and across and ended up about half a mile away from the closest on-ramp. that's when it completely stopped. At about 1 pm we decided that if we weren't on the bridge in a half an hour, we'd give up and go home. An hour and a half later we'd moved half a block. Eventually we did give up and turned off at the next intersection and started for home. We ended up spending 5.5 hours in the car and never got to where we were going. That year was salmon patties, rice, and green beans for Thanksgiving dinner.

So have a great day. Posting will resume tomorrow.