Monday, March 19, 2007

The detritus of graduate school


So I cleaned out my file cabinets some more over the weekend. I had already sifted through two drawers several months ago and got rid of a bunch of papers. Papers? Photocopies of journal articles, book chapters, unpublished stuff, etc. Back in that first year or two of grad school back in 19*mumble-mumble* -- actually, mostly only the first year -- we had to read dozens and dozens of papers for two classes: RC Dunnell's theory class and DK Grayson's zooarch class. The former covered almost entirely North American works, mostly from the 1940s onward. Dunnell's theory class was actually two quarters, the first on unit construction and the second on explanation. Grayson had us read and write abstracts on dozens more having to do with all manner of faunal-related papers. MNI, NISP, pollen, and, my personal favorites, pack rat middens and sloth dung.

So anyway, copies of all of them were on hold at the library so every week we'd all trundle over there, check them out, walk over to the copy center and make copies and chat up the little hotties they had working the counters. Lord knows how much money we spent on copies. I saved most of them and, in fact, had my own unique cross-referenced filing system. Each copy would have a number and some key words (author, topic, etc.) and into the files they'd go. I got this system from Aidan Southall who I worked for at U Wisconsin. Eventually I migrated some of the 3x5 index cards over to EndNote. Worked pretty well, actually.

Among the greatest hits:
Kuhn, S.L. 1992 Blank form and reduction as determinants of Mousterian scraper morphology Amer. Ant. 57(1) p 115-128

Hansen Henry P. 1942 A pollen study of peat profiles from lower Klamath Lake of Oregon and California in L.S. Cressman. Archaeological Researches in the Northern Great Basin. Carnegie Institute of Washington Publications 538: 103-114.

Antevs, Ernst 1955 Geologic-Climatic dating in the west Amer. Ant. 20(4) 317-335.

I retained some of them, either because they are hard/impossible to come by electronically or I liked them particularly well. Yeah, you young whipper snappers in grad school now have it easy! When I was your age I had to slog through 10 foot snowdrifts just to go to the library and find a journal article to photocopy -- and I appreciated it!

Heh.