Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Nick's past perfect
Identity theft - and the sale of paper shredders - is a big issue these days. And archaeologists practise a form of identity theft, sifting through the rubbish heaps of the past to reconstruct the lives of our ancestors.

During my career I've often been asked: "What's the most valuable thing you've ever found?"

While we might all marvel at the latest discovery of a gold amulet or a religious icon, pulled from the earth, my answer is usually: "Give me your wallet or purse and I can tell you how much you're worth. But give me your wheelie bin and I can tell you how you live!"

. . .

Earthworks examines our past, looks at the everyday work of archaeologists and seeks to find the 'people' behind the millennia-old heritage of this part of Ireland. During the series it reports on recent finds, re-examines earlier discoveries and visits sites you may never have heard of.


Just like ArchaeoBlog!